19/01/2009

Survival kit

Himself left early in the morning, and I stayed in bed. I was woken by the buzzer and behind the door I found the postman with a parcel. The poor man is probably terrified of our house, because he always manages to wake me up and I never have the time to make myself presentable. The first thing he sees is my hair, which usually enters the hallway a
good few minutes before me. I also can't speak properly before my first cuppa, so I just croak "thanks" before escaping back in. He most likely thinks I'm either a) a complete waster or b) some crazy lady with twenty cats. I'm seriously considering putting up a warning sign with my picture on it, just to give the poor people a fair chance. Beware of the Laala. Hmmm...

Anyway, the packet included a little survival kit for me. It was put together by my lovely stepsister.

There was some chocolate, two packets of salty liquorice and some dried rye bread "buttons".
I had to take a picture of the bread, because I was so excited. See, I've tried all sorts of ways to get the stuff into the country. I've had people send it to me, I've brought it over in a suitcase and asked everyone coming here to do the same. I've gone to every shop in town looking for rye bread, only to come home empty-handed. The bread in the Polish shops is close, but not close enough. Himself looks at me standing in front of the shelves, muttering "Not dark enough.... Too soft..." and just can't understand my point.

And since we don't have a freezer, I can't store large quantities. It doesn't stop me from buying them, and so I spend the few days after holidays eating rye bread on rye bread.
That's why these little things are absolutely brilliant. Since they are dried, they keep for ages. Now I'll get my fix of proper bread every day and know what to bring home from Finland next month.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Isn't that glorious when you get those foods you crave and cannot get locally? Mine is Mom Blakeman Pulled Cremes--I have to order them 4 or 5 tubs at a time because I hate to pay the shipping on just one! What a treat! I hoard them like a squirrel! (They are a melt-in-your-mouth candy from Kentucky)

    ReplyDelete