19/05/2009

Under pressure

We decided to take the apartment on the quieter, more secure area.
(Somehow seeing broken windows while viewing a place isn't the kind of thing that makes you want to move.)

Himself is doing army-things at the moment, so it has been my job to organize everything. I've managed to get references from work and printed out a bank statement, got our passports copied and paid the deposit. I met up with the estate agent who deals with our current place, found out about getting back this deposit and called the electricity company about a strange bill and also moving our account to the new address.

Lin wrote about banks gone bad; my experience with the electricity place was nearly as horrible. I found the bill, dialed the number. Instead of a person, I got hold of a machine.
"Please enter your account number". Ok, that was handy enough.
"Your account number is xxxxxxx." Thanks, I know. "Please dial 1, if this is correct."
At this point I'm getting worried, that my credit is about to go, so I'm delighted to hear the machine tell me: "I will connect you to someone who will help you" , which, of course, they don't do.

I had to go through thousands of options and press one so many times, that the number on the button faded a little. And when I was about to explode, the machine very politely tells me:
"You are being connected. Please note that this call may be recorded for customer service training purposes." Customer service? Really?

Firstly, I listened to the machine 99% of the call's duration. I don't concider that customer service.
And secondly, I think it has nothing to do with customer service training. I think the mention of recording is there to stop people like me saying things they might regret, in their rage caused by "Please push one if you ever want to get the chance to talk to one of our real, live employees".

Had to get that out of my system. This is why I usually make Himself do these things.
Next time no excuse is going to work.
I can just imagine the conversation:

Himself: "But I have to make sure these people can swim before we bring them to the lake!"
Me: "They'll be grand, just call the damn agent!"

Ok, so maybe I just have to deal with the next two weeks by myself.
Thankfully I don't think there's any more phone calls to be made. The rest I can manage. :)

2 comments:

  1. I make all the phone calls and deal with all the bills. It sucks sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, I hate machines. I always push the wrong number and end up having to call them back and listen to the entire thing all over again. It's annoying, aggrivating, and yes, not custumer service. Finally was able to read your Milan post! Your pizza looks to die for. There is no such thing as a good pizza place here. None at all.

    ReplyDelete