04/05/2009

Superstating

Have you seen P.S. I love you? I (unfortunately) have.
I loved the book, read it in two languages, about 50 times and cried a little bit every time.
We went to the cinema (a good while ago now) and Himself packed his pockets full of tissues (for me, not him).
In we went and--- NOT ONE TEAR!
Instead I felt cheated; The movie didn't have much to do with the book. The location had been changed, the characters were as deep as a puddle on the pavement and your man couldn't do an Irish accent (and him being Scottish and all...)
The thing I found really funny, though, was the way they showed Ireland as countryside, green hills and not a town in sight. I was actually expecting a leprechaun to pop up and do a jig.
Anyway. There was a pub in the movie called Whelan's. And of course the moviemakers decided to relocate it to the sticks.
The pub is alive and well, but is actually in the middle of Dublin. Which is a city. So no sheep grazing outside the main entrance or old men in wellies sipping their pints of Guinness.

Ok, this does have a point.
Saturday was my first time in Whelan's.
I usually try to stay out of Dublin, as the place stresses me out and makes me extremely grumpy. And I wasn't supposed to go this time either, nope. I was planning to stay comfily in my hometown, and go see The Aftermath singlelaunch. I even had my nice invite and everything. But it wasn't meant to be.
So I gave my ticket to my bosses kids and off we went, me and the other Laura.

This was the support band, Hogan. Absolutely brilliant band, great energy and Mark is turning into one of my favourite frontmen in the country. He reminds me an awful lot of Dave of the Dave's radio fame. Hmmm... Anyway, extra points from the drummer, who is just something else. (Himself hates his hat, but agrees on the skills department)

And here's Superstate again. The engagement of the bassplayer was the main topic of conversations that night.

And here's Himself, who was the guitar tech on the night, sang backing vocals and played keyboards on a few songs. What can't he do?

It was sooooo good to get home on Sunday and have a proper cup of tea. It might be a good while until I try hanging out in the capital again....
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. I refuse to watch that movie. It will kill me!

    He looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, he looks fab playing!! Sounds like fun. Never read the book--is it really that good?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked it. And love her other books as well. She has interesting ideas and style of writing.

    ReplyDelete