15/05/2009

Milan, part 2

On the next day we walked to the main cathedral, Il Duomo.
I didn't have my long-sleeved shirt with me, so we ended up walking around it and admiring the beautiful buildingwork.
The pictures really don't do it justice, it really is an amazing place.

Il Duomo

We had some lunch and went to the Natural History Museum, which we had spotted earlier. Spent a good while looking at stuffed animals, sea-creatures and dinosaur bones. And it was only 1,50 with a student card.
Natural History Museum

On Sunday we armed ourselves with lots of clothes and took a different route towards the Cathedral.
This time we actually got in, had a look around and saw a bit of mass. Even I was nearly moved to tears.

We ended up in a pretty square, but thought it was just another square. Then we turned our heads, noticed a building on our right and I focused my eyes on a poster that said something about opera. Our thoughts got confirmation when two Italian ladies asked Himself to take a picture of them in front of.... La Scala!

We were delighted to see a sign saying "Theatre Museum". And in we went.
It was filled with deathmasks, paintings, stage jewellery and all sorts of interesting bits and bobs.
My favourites were a portrait of Pavlova and Pavarotti's stage costume from the eighties.

La Scala

Himself had noticed a place called Forza on the map, so we decided to try and find it. We knew it was a castle, but didn't quite know what to expect. We fortified ourselves with a doughnut from a street-vendor's stall and soon saw the main tower in the distance.
We had had quite enough of museums for the day, so we just walked into the inner yard of the castle and walked around it. Then we copied the locals and chilled out sitting on the grass for a while, watching the lizzards which were the castle's only occupants these days. Them, and cats. (Lin: One of the cats instantly reminded me of Hobbes. But don't tell that to him, or he'll want a castle built around his kitty-basket as well...)
Forza

-------
Yesterday I spent four hours at work cleaning fridges. Oh, to be a lizzard in Forza...
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. I love, love, love, Italian architecture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So do I. :) I love the way they actually keep the old buildings, unlike the Irish...
    Oh, and I tried to comment on yours, but I can't. Just so you know I haven't forgotten. :)

    ReplyDelete