02/12/2008

Waking up to the smell of coffee? I wish!

When myself and the better half moved in together first, we pretty much knew where we stood, so there was no annoying fights about pointless things like toilet seats or "where-to-squeeze-the-toothpaste". (Universally known discussions, I'd say! :D)

Obviously we had our own habits, hobbies and little quirks, which spiced up the life nicely.
Then, for various reasons, these things started to change. (Don't hold your breath, there's no fight scenes or slamming doors)
We started to share some hobbies, which is quite natural. He started to teach me how to play guitar, then the drum kit moved into the flat last Christmas. I taught him how to do things with the computer. You know the way it goes.

Then we swapped some of our habits. I used to drink about six cups of coffee a day and act like the squirrel from Hoodwinked. He was a tea man. And all of a sudden the roles were reversed.
I used to fall asleep in the middle of watching DVDs, even Billy Connolly's shouting wasn't enough to keep me awake. I'd even go as far as to say I kind of found his scottish accent soothing.
Now it's himself who needs his "10 min recharge" and, believe you me, isn't afraid to take it! He snores merrily away on a daily basis for a few minutes and isn't nearly as grumpy afterwards.

We are getting closer to the point, hard as it may be to believe. One of these "swaps" was our "body clock". He used to gig a lot, stay up late and have breakfast after most people's lunchtime. I used to be up at half seven. (Not that I wanted to, but these things -read: WORK- happen). Now he has to wake up at some godforsaken hour (words "rooster's" and "fart" come to mind) and I won't move before some time after 10. This is where the trouble start and title takes it's spotlight.

I can't sleep after waking up once. He sleeps in 5 seconds, if something manages to wake him up in the first place.
This morning he slept through the alarm. He woke up to the furious sound of a text message. I didn't, because it wasn't my phone and my brain knew not to care. What did wake me up was himself shouting, roaring and going through words I don't feel like repeating here. After he noticed I was awake, he fell happily back to sleep and left me lying wide awake, hyperventilating from the fright.

So here I am, drinking energy drinks to help me stay awake for the remaining of my ten-hour-shift. To be fair, I think it might help, if I didn't stay awake half the night doing things I didn't necessarily have to. Ah well.

P.S.
I've actually been able to watch all the Billy Connolly DVDs now without falling asleep, and have really started to appreciate him as a comedian, not just for his soothing shouting. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment