17/12/2008

My new family

A while ago I got in touch with some of my old friends again. Some of them I went to school with, some of them I'd see while out and about.
It was amazing to see, what can happen in a few years. Obviously most of them have studied and started working and all sorts of things you do. But the thing that surprised me most was the amount of people who have gotten engaged, married and had babies. Even girls younger than me seem to be all settled down, with rings in their fingers and in some cases, a second child on the way.

It also made me realise that I'm surprised about the way my life has turned out. I was like those girls once, I just did things in a different order. I went through a phase, where I got engaged, planned all sorts of silly things for the future and thought I was in love. When, in fact I was just playing grown-up and trying to find some kind of peace into my crazy life. Things went pear-shaped, as could be expected, and I tore my university application forms, packed my bags and moved to a different town. I started partying for all the years I'd wasted taking care of someone else. Then I moved to Ireland.

I didn't have any plans to stay here for more than a year. Then I met Himself.
And it seems it's the best "accident" that ever happened to me.
We don't have babies (mainly because we wouldn't be able to fit one into the apartment! ;)) but we have the nicest and strangest adopted family.
My "adopted" son is nearly a decade older than me. He started out as Himself's friend. Then he hit a bad patch, we helped him back to his feet and he became part of the family. He hears the kettle from miles away and comes in for a cup of tea. We make his cuppa the way he likes it, he knows my weakness for chocolate and I can stay in my pyjamas when he's around. It's all very effortless and nice.

Then I've Billy Jr, who I already mentioned in the last post. He is the newest addition to the family. Billy is a toy monkey, who came home with me from Dublin Zoo. He was named after Billy Connolly, although this young gentleman is a good bit quieter than his namesake. :) He keeps to himself, usually sitting on the cymbal of my drumkit. For some reason people are very interested in him, especially when they've had few drinks, which is why I'm planning to hide him for the duration of parties.

Then we have a collection of people, who call in for a chat and a coffee. I usually use them as guinea pigs, making them eat whatever happens to be cooking. (By the looks of them, I should probably use less spices! :D)

"Friends are the family you choose", they say. I think there might be a bit of truth in that one! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment