14/12/2008

Season of colds and busy better halves

Himself dug up the Christmas records again. A few weeks ago. He says it's because he needs to re-learn the songs for gigs, but I think he secretly likes them. A particular favourite of his is the one with Tom Jones and your one going on about the weather outside.
The only Christmas-related song I like is Fairytale of New York, mainly because it's not really a Christmas song at all. It's refreshing to hear a bit of strong language and drama to balance out all the talk about nicely behaved children, Santa and his little helpers.

So, you probably already figured out I'm not the biggest fan of this season. When I tell this to people, they look at me as if I just told them I like throwing rotten eggs at little old ladies.
There is a reason for my dislike. For me, the idea of this time of the year stopped being pleasant when I was about 5. Christmas was about having to choose between parents, causing stress and guilt. Later I had to try to explain to various relatives, why I did things a certain way. And so on.

My best Christmas so far was few years back, when due to work reasons I didn't have to see any lights, trees or decorations. Then I met himself, and suddenly Crimbo came back into my life. See, my better half is quite traditional. He considers the idea of spending Christmas abroad strange and actually likes putting up a tree. So, last Christmas I gave it a go. And, unfortunately, still didn't like it.

Himself is in his element, busy gigging and playing Christmas songs to drunken and very, very merry people.
I, on the other hand, am busy blowing my nose, looking for my woolly socks and making tea.
And soon it's time for me to decorate myself with the biggest fake smile and a look of polite interest.

Or I could always get a few drinks into myself and sing The Pogues. Now there's an idea.

All together now: "It's Chrrrristmas eeeeeve babe, in the drunk tank...".

1 comment:

  1. I don't think you are very alone in not liking this season. And you know what? It's ok! Really. You don't have to play Christmas carols or decorate the house. You don't have to be all merry and cheery. Maybe just a polite smile to all those who are, but that's all that's required.

    Like you, I try to find the Christmas songs that aren't really Christmas songs. There is one that sings "I wish I could find a river to skate away on...."--that's my favorite! And you have to see me act it out when the family drives me crazy!! Or the South Park Christmas album which is completely politically incorrect! It's all about finding alternatives, I say!

    Thanks for visiting my blog. I like yours--keep writing!!!

    ReplyDelete