27/02/2009

Dreams, tears and language barriers


Last night I dreamt I was home. In Finland, that is.

That was the first time I had such a dream without it being a nightmare. The last time I dreamt about Finland was year and a half ago, and in that dream I couldn't remember how to speak Finnish and no-one understood me. That was just before our last trip there.
This time I woke up confused and quite upset to find myself in my own bedroom, instead of being surrounded by snow and familiar places of my dream.

I know what brought it on. I really miss my dad, my hometown and my relatives. But what makes being away worse this time, is that my friend just got some exciting news. We've gone through a lot together and have always been there for each other. We could talk about everything and only lived half an hour away from each other, so when we felt like it, we could very easily meet up. The distance hasn't affected our relationship, but I miss meeting up and chatting face to face. And I'd love to be there for her, especially now.

The other reason for my dream just happened yesterday.
The day was normal enough; came home, went for a walk, got into bed.
Started our bedtime chat and that's when I said a word wrong. Just a slip, a past tense gone wrong, which happens to me every now and again when I get tired or try to explain something really fast.
Himself noticed that and started slagging me about it. I tried to laugh, but he took it too far and I ended up crying.
I'm not sensitive, I don't mind a bit of slagging and am usually the first person to laugh at myself. However, I don't appreciate native speakers of any language laughing at people who try to make an effort and speak their language. Himself has seen me cry because of people's ignorance so many times, that he really should know where to draw the line.

So today I'm missing home and the simplicity of speaking my own language. And wondering if by giving people in your life the means to hurt you, you also give them the right to do so, or at least risk it. Or should you be able to hand the weapons to the ones you love without a fear of getting hurt?

Today will be a better day. :)

2 comments:

  1. Today will be a better day. Thanks for the visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how sad. I'm sure you will feel better tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete