23/02/2009

Home sweet home

People laughed at me, when I said this. And yet I'm going to say it again: Coming home felt like the first time I went to Spain. It was nearly magical, the way our little town transformed into a place full of life and lights.

The main reason obviously is the fact that after -32 degrees everything feels warm. We walked up to a friend's house on Saturday night and enjoyed the "warm" breeze. My customers complain about the cold, and I'm there enjoying being able to stand outside without my eyelashes freezing.

The life and lights -bit? Well, both my mom and my dad live in the sticks. You can't see the neighbours, there's no streetlights within miles and when you go outside, you can actually hear quiet. After over a week of that, our mainstreet looked like a tourist destination in a busy season. In a way I'm enjoying it. In a way I'm annoyed. I'd love to wear my Paddington Bear -hat, but I get too warm after five minutes. On the other hand I can wear my strange skirts without hypothermia.

It's good to be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment